Dr Alan Littler advises the national and international gambling industry as a member of the Gaming Practice. The focus of Alan’s work is for remote gambling operators and adjacent activities, such as social gaming. He also advises those providing services to the sector, e.g. payment services providers, and covers regulatory developments in the lottery and casino markets. Current interests include issues concerning data protection and privacy around gambling.
Alan has a strong academic background in European law, holding a LL.M. (cum laude) in European Community Law from Leiden University, and moreover having been awarded his PhD from Tilburg University for research on the regulation of gambling and EU law. His research was published under the title Member States versus the European Union: The Regulation of Gambling by Martinus Nijhoff in 2011.
In keeping with his academic background Alan contributes to both academic conferences and publications, as well as industry outlets. He regularly contributes to publications such as European Gaming Lawyer, has authored the chapter about the Netherlands in Thomson Reuter’s Global Gaming Guide as well as writing the monthly “Legal and Regulatory Update” for Gaming in Holland. He also convenes the module on the regulation of online gambling in Queen Mary University of London’s Computer and Communications Law Distance Learning programme, and recently served on the Advisory Board of A Full House: Developing a New Socio-Legal Theory of Gambling Regulation (“The Bingo Project“) at Kent Law School (University of Kent, Canterbury).
- Alan Littler & Jellien Roelofs, “The Netherlands: latest developments as legislative reform inches along”, Online Gambling Lawyer, December 2016, 11-14
- Alan Littler, “Noot, X/Unibet International Limited”, Tijdschrift voor Consumentenrecht & Handelspraktijken, 6-2015, 331-334
- Michael Auer, Alan Littler & Mark D. Griffiths, “Legal Aspects of Responsible Gaming Pre-commitment and Personal Feedback Initiatives”, Gaming Law Review and Economics (2015), 19(6), 444-456
- Alan Littler, “Betting on a new casino market”, European Gaming Lawyer, Spring Issue 2015, 38
- Wulf Hambach & Alan Littler, “The EC’s recommendations on consumer protection”, World Online Gambling Law Report, January 2015, 12-13
- Alan Littler & Justin Franssen, “How should we define ‘strict control’?”, European Gaming Lawyer, Summer Issue 2011, 18-20